Thursday 1 November 2012

Heavy Fear Blitz

 
  

Oh... ha bloody ha. I see what you did there, the guys at Dream Pod 9 are clearly cunning linguists. But, the news is rather cool none the less, well it is if you live in North America, because if you live in the EU it's probably not so cool. Bloody important duty, stupid sodding customs charges. Any way, the news is that they are running a... wait for it... Heavy Fear Blitz sale, for every $50CAN's you spend at their online store, you will accumulate an extra $10CAN's to 'treat' yourself with. Nice. This sale will run until the 2nd November 2012, so you better not let that pumpkin rot too long and get on with taking advantage of it if you want to. In other Heavy Gear Blitz news Angel Giraldez has been ruining yet another game by showing just what you can achieve with some paint and Heavy Gear Blitz mini's, well if you aren't a cack handed gibbon with no thumbs that is. Take a look and weep:


That I believe is a Spitting Cobra, I say 'I believe' because it's not like any Spitting Cobra I've seen before! All you can do is doth your cap at Angel's work, and acknowledge the guy's undeniable brilliance. He must have worked sodding hard to get to the levels he is at. But wait there's more...


This is a Black Mamba, and again I suppose it's not half bad. I have to be honest and say I'm really looking forward to seeing more of Angel's work on the Heavy Gear range of mini's. Mainly because I think that they've lacked the very top level paint jobs that other companies have achieved, so they've probably not fared as well as other game systems in that instant 'wow' factor. You can't say that about them now, Angel knows how to make a miniature pop. I guess this is today's none zombie related article. Peace out!

15 comments:

  1. Tere is some more at Angel's blog! They look like NuCoal or PRDF (or both): http://studiogiraldez.blogspot.com/2012/10/cobra.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I'd seen them. They're Southern Gears for the upcoming Southern Field Guide: Forged in Fire.

      Delete
  2. They are stunning of course... as is always the case when Angel paints something. And although they are most certainly better for showcasing the game (the wow factor) I personally prefer my gears to be a bit more rough and ready. I'd like to see a historic model painters take on some gears for example.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've tried keeping my NuCoal stuff a bit more realistic looking and have done some camo patterns on them. Also trying to weather them realistically. Still not totally happy with them and trying to fiddle with them still. I'll get bored soon enough and varnish them and say enough is enough!!! :P

      lol.

      Delete
    2. So when do we get to see them?! :D

      Delete
    3. Well I'm hoping the first two units and a tank or two might be finished in the next week or so. I'm just procrastinating about weathering and how to paint the blue accents on them. I just don't want to over or under do it.

      Delete
  3. I became very unhappy after reading an interview with Angel where he explains his painting style as "simple techniques of base colour paired with highlighting and shading".

    Simply my posterior, it made me want to toss my painting desk through a window...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I'm sure he has worked his arse off to get to the level of ability he has. But when people say what they do is simple when they produce the quality of work he does it drives me slightly potty too. I think though lots of hard work and practice is simply the answer.

      Delete
  4. It looks there are some nice toys on the way! Too bad that postage costs and custom charges inflate the price so much.

    I also agree with Martin and you about the paintjob. It looks a too clean, like they belong on a parade ground. Taking 'simple techniques' to that level is a talent in and of itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't even know how cool some of the stuff is. I'm currently sending an Agent to Canada to steal blueprints for me. Hopefully I'll be able to show you all some exclusive stuff soon.

      Delete
    2. And again with the teasing.. I hope your man succeeds, the rewards will be great!

      Delete
    3. We'll catch your man and torture him for all he knows. Thanks for the hint.

      Delete
    4. @Aeria, if I didn't tease how on earth would I get people to check back here to see what I'm up to?

      @John, Agent Tybs is a very cunning and wily customer, you'll do well to track him down.

      Delete
  5. Can anybody tell me how much are customs (%-wise) so that I can deduce Wayland's margins on HGB? Thanks in advance! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well in the UK customs is charged at the same rate as VAT, so it'd be 20%, but I'm not so sure about how duty works if you are officially importing product and when that's paid.

      Delete