Friday 24 February 2012

Infinity new releases!!! (February)

  
 

It's rapidly becoming a tradition here at Frontline Games HQ, that I cover the ever so lovely miniature releases every month from Corvus Belli's delectable Infinity range. I'm not about to break with tradition now am I? Nope, I'm not. It's also becoming tradition for Señor Angel Giraldez to release an early peek of one of the gorgeous miniatures his talented hands have painted for that months releases. This time February's early glimpse meant it was the turn of Pan-O players to get all hot under the collar first, with the terribly sexy looking Jotum. But, Angel didn't stop there this time, it seems he himself was particularly pleased with his work, and why wouldn't he be, it's a stunning paint job, so he released some detail pics of the Jotum as well. So yep, they've been given another one of their blasted TAGs those Pan-O swines! They still haven't got them all though, so those Pan-O players you know won't have quit their incessant whinging yet... just you watch!

Jotums

 Yeah, yeah they're the TAG faction blah, blah, blah... I'm tired of hearing Pan-O players grumble and whinge about how they don't have all their TAGs yet. Boo hoo for you. So the the Cutter's not good enough for you? The Dragoes didn't sate your appetites either. So Corvus Belli have released yet another stunning looking TAG for you, this time it's the lovely looking Jotum. I have to admit it though, I'm a tiny little bit jealous of all those Pan-O players when I look at this miniature *sigh* . So what is it like on the table? Well like all TAGs its statline makes for impressive reading it's MOV 6-4 is your standard TAG movement. It's CC of 18 is also pretty standard as too is it's BS 15. However, it's PH of 17 and WIP 13 does give it a slight advantage on most of the Pan-O TAGs at the very least in WIP, but where it really kicks ass is with it's ARM 10 and BTS -9. Couple it's PH, WIP, ARM and BTS together along with it's STR 3 and what you arguably have is the most survivable TAG in the game. It's a tank and many people worry about dropping  the points required on most TAGs because they're normally vulnerable to something or other, but the Jotums are built to last! It's got some tasty weapons too with the Multi-HMG and HGL, at 110 pts and 2 swc it doesn't come cheap though. Reality is Pan-O have an awesome array of TAGs available, would I take this over an Armoured Cavalry? Yeah, the extra stats for those points seems worth it. It becomes tricky though when you look at the cheaper Dragoes with their awesome weapons, and the TO camo Cutter. There's more TAGs still to be released for Pan-O too... greedy *bleep*er's.


Zouaves

Yet another stripped down military hard nut type for Ariadna. I have to admit that the 'current' tech vibe of Ariadna is starting to grow on me with every passing release. I love the back pack on this miniature and all the tools and equipment he's lugging around. As a miniature it's simply put lovely. So is it worth taking? Well I actually quite like the Zouaves, they have two skills I like, Mechanized Deployment and V: Courage. They're in your face fighters, and actually give Ariadnan players a way of getting further into their opponents face very early on in the game, they stick around to. They also have a pretty good BS of 12 for Light Infantry, a PH of 10 isn't to be sniffed at either and the WIP 13 and ARM 2 is pretty darn good as well. He starts out at 20 pts and 0.5 swc for the bog standard loadout, but give him an E/Mauler and that rises to 26 pts and 1 swc, or you could go with the Forward Observer option (my pick of the bunch) for 23 pts and 0.5 swc. I guess he'd do as the Paramedic for 24 pts, 0.5 swc and Lieutenant for 20 pts, 1 swc. I like Zouaves and think they're a pretty good option for Ariadnan players.

Yaopu Pangguling

Upon seeing this miniature there was the usual girlish squeal released by me when I see something I like. I might have even clapped my hands a bit. Now that's more to do with the options than the miniature. I'm not saying I don't like the miniature, I'm saying I don't know if I like the miniature. Simply put I need to see the miniature in the flesh because the studio pictures look weird and don't really give me an idea of the shape of the miniature. What I do know is that they're worth taking. I've been wanting these miniatures for some time for two reasons really. Firstly it's the only way as a Yu Jing player I can get an EVO Repeater into my lists, I like to have the option and at 13 pts and 0.5 swc it's actually quite a cheap EVO Repeater. The other reason I like these particular REM's is because of the Baggage rule that means each one these adds a further 20pts to the count for working out retreat... exceedingly handy for aggressive Yu Jing who tend to put their expensive toys in harms way. The repeater is just a bonus. The Total Reaction option (21 pts) is always a good option for defensive positions and Minesweeper (8 pts) option is useful for getting Oniwabans where they need to go! I'm mega excited about these.

Reverend Custodiers

Some people weren't so happy with the combi-rifle wielding Reverend Custodier. I think it was the casual stance that some didn't like. Me? I loved the miniature to bits and thought she had plenty of sass even though you couldn't see her face. This Boarding Shotgun version is anything but static though. She's full of animation and motion and I absolutely love the way she appears to be twisting round mid stride to take a shot at something that's just appeared behind her. I love it, and I hope the critic's of the other Reverend Custodier miniature like this one too, because the imagery, armour and concept of the pieces is top drawer. I'm a big fan again of this option on the tabletop, Religious Troop's are always welcome when the going gets tough and the Optical Disruptor makes her hard to hit, which is always nice. But what I really love about them is that they're a wonderfully offensive hacker with WIP 14 and those Hacking Device Plus. Sweet! The Boarding Shotgun variant should deter people from getting too close as well, because it's a brutal option at close range, especially coupled with the BS 12 she has. Her CC of 14, ARM 3 and BTS -3 are pretty solid too. For 36 pts and 0.5 swc she'll be added to my Nomad collection for sure.

Myrmidon (Spitfire)

This months last release is another variant of an already available option. I'm sure there are more than a few Aleph players who will be glad to see the Spitfire option finally released. As a miniature he keeps the theme of the Myrmidon's and doesn't do anything new. Although I quite like the pose I'm not so keen on the lump of rock he's stepping onto. It doesn't fit with the studio bases and doesn't fit with my own Dragon Forge Omega Prime bases that I myself use. But is he worth putting into your forces? That's the question. Honestly? I'm not too sure he is. I've always looked at the Spitfire option for the Myrmidons and thought 'hmm maybe if they were linkable' and maybe if Aleph get a sectorial they will be. But at 32 pts and 0.5 swc I just think currently I'd rather spend those points elsewhere in my Aleph force. Don't get me wrong I like the Myrmidons as options as their Frenzy, Martial Arts L3 and Optical Disruptor's all come in very handy. As do their nice statline. It's just I'd rather take the cheaper Combi Rifle and Chain Rifle options, and given how I play with these I'd have preferred the Boarding Shotgun variant right now. Still if in the next book Aleph do get a sectorial... well, then I reserve my right to change my opinion!

So there we have it, another spiffing month of spiffing Infinity releases, much better than January for me. I'm pleased to see both the Boarding Shotgun Reverend Custodier and even the Spitfire Mymidon IF they become linkable. I also happen to think they're all pretty awesome sculpts too. However, it's the Yu Jing player in me that's most happy this month. The Yáopú Pangguling remotes are the only way of having an EVO repeater in a Yu Jing force, and figure repping them was getting a bit tired. I also happen to think the Total Reaction variant is a great defensive option for 21 points. The new Zouave is a nice sculpt, and Ariadna have been getting more than a few of those lately, but I'm not an Ariadna player so meh. This months best looking release though is undeniably the Jotum, I'm saying that through gritted teeth. Bloody Pan-O!!! It's a bloody good little option for them too... I refuse to start collecting Pan-O as well as Haqqislam, Aleph, Nomad and Yu Jing... must resist the shiny, shiny toys. Peace out!

28 comments:

  1. Great post, enjoyed reading your thoughts on these. I personally love the Infinity release schedule, mainly because CB do it so different from other manufacturers.

    They have so many figure/armament choices to release from and, as there is no "flavour of the month" faction, the figures are chosen from their whole range!

    Lastly, one faction is usually left out,for what reason, I couldn't say, so that adds a bit of "will or wont I get?" The Combine player in me is sad this month (but the Yu Jing player in me is super-happy!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Corvus Belli have got the 'inclusive' release schedule thing down very well. I know that more people are starting to follow suit, the guys at Bushido for instance. I'm also glad you like my thoughts on the new releases. I think it's a better way of doing it rather than me just going ooooh pretty! Like I used to. lol.

      Delete
    2. Yup, spot on. There are plenty of places on the net to see new minis and games. I think bloggers should be giving their opinions too!

      Delete
  2. Nice post. As always i like your insight into various games. Jotum i AWESOME!! I'm new to the Infinity(ie. soon to buy a starter box :P) and cant wait to paint an play those insanely beautiful models!! Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I hope you enjoy the game. I personally love it, and can't get enough Infinity goodness. I'm also glad you enjoy the posts. :)

      Delete
  3. Dude, that Yu-Jing bot is so cool they had to make a special base to fit the coolness on!
    Uh, y'know...not that I was lookin' at stuffs...cuz I'm so broke right now I can't afford...well, anything really.
    CURSE YOU, BILLS....CURSE YOOOOOOOOOU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah bills and living expenses in general just get in the way of all the fun stuff!!!

      Delete
    2. Ah... now I know who SinSynn reminds me of; Invader Zim. :)

      Delete
    3. Indeed, he is a bit like Invader Zim. Love that cartoon, as does Mrs FLG.

      Delete
  4. I'm with you, I loved the Combi-Rifle Custodier and her "Badass, but totally ok with it" stance. I love this one too, mind.

    But raining markers down from behind a wall, then following up with a barrage of guided missiles was just beautiful. One-woman army indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, I thought the original looked sweet. Either option kicks ass though lets be honest!!! :)

      Delete
  5. Correct me if I'm wrong, my dear Frontline, but aren't REMs almost universally considered to be shit and pushed to the side in favour of the flesh-and-blood?

    If this is true, incidentally, it's a pity. Those things should be able to cream LI one-on-one in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Incidentally, which Dragon Forge designs do you use for Infinity, out of curiosity?

      Delete
    2. If people push REMs to the side then more fool them. Point for punch some REMs are stupidly effective they really, really are. For instance a 13 pts REM with EVO repeater that also has baggage! I like my REMs thank you very much.

      As for Dragon Forge I use the Omega Prime bases for Aleph and the Tech Deck ones for my Nomads. I have my Yu Jings on the MAS Urban bases and my Haqqislam are on Secret Weapon various desert bases.

      Delete
    3. I see. I cannot speak of experience, as the gaming around here is sparse even on 40k levels, I go by theory and rumour. Ta, good to know.

      Delete
    4. That's a real shame. It's something I'm hearing more and more of actually and it's bothersome. I think I ought to do something about helping opponent starved gamers find some people to face off against. If you're ever in the UK my good man you'll always be welcome to swing by mine and catch a game or 3.

      As for REMs it's like a lot of things in Infinity. I've heard of people who never take hackers because they're pointles... o_0 ... you what? I've been told Haramaki are crap and that Oniwaban's are a waste of points. Yet I seem to make them work, it's a funny game like that. Different things and styles off play suit different people.

      Delete
    5. REMs useless? They certainly have their particular "mission profiles" but you just have to learn how they interact with the game. If you want something to head downfield to take and dish out some damage a HI might be a better choice, but a Total Reaction remote with 360 vision can be a godsend when you know your opponent have a lof of AD troops or bikes for example.

      Or the EVO repeater... whew!! :D

      Delete
    6. They're like a lot of things in Infinity though. Many REMs purpose or uses aren't initially realised by many. Until somebody else takes one and it causes you more problems than you can believe. TAGs were like tat for me until I came across a rampaging Guija and a Szalamandra in another game. Then I developed an appreciation for them. I don't always take TAGs and I don't think they're necessary... BUT, boy if you get one working well you'll be smiling all the way.

      Delete
  6. Quick Question what how long has Infinity been out I am wanting to start a Nomad force but I have been burned on the three of the last four games I started Confrontation, Starship Troupers, and Urban War and I hate spening money on a game to see it disapeare after only a few years

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand the worry. I too have been burned in the past. The 2nd Edition Rulebook was published early 2008 I believe and the 1st Edition was roughly 3 to four years before that. I'm not entirely sure because I really got into the game around late 2007 early 2008ish. What I will say though is that as a game and product Infinity feels very different to Confrontation, Starship Troopers and Urban War (which is still going by the way). Infinity is already way more popular in the UK from what I've encountered than any of those other games you mention and is still growing and getting stronger. I'm hearing pretty much every month of new players starting up. The main thing is what's the take up like round by you?

      Delete
    2. Thanks I really appreciate the information you have here. Currently there is not much gaming locally, the gaming community seems to have dried up completely (one gaming store here in Evansville IN has completely dropped miniatures and the other has one 6 ft section with GW and reaper miniatures.) I am now up to trying to grow my own gaming partner, the wife has showed a little interest in infinity for some reason she like werewolves and the little boy (5) really likes the "little men" Planning on dragging the Mecks out for him soon to start teaching a very striped down version of battletech soon. So I am looking for something fairly stable and not GW

      Delete
    3. I can understand you wanting to look for something more stable that's for sure. I myself was a big Battletech fan, I miss my mech's dearly, which is why I've started up Heavy Gear Blitz, have you had a look at that? You can pick the rules up to that for free too, just like you can Infinity's rules. I am however told that Infinity is making inroads in the USA sporadically. I hear of pockets of quite fervent and diehard Infinity fans springing up all over the place in the States. I myself wouldn't know what the game is like over there, but from what I'm hearing it's only taking baby fledgling steps right now. So it could be a good time to try and whip up some local support for it I guess. It's certainly bigger over here in Europe as you'd expect. If you ever need any help and advice just drop me a question in any of my Blogs and I'll do my best to answer them. Good luck with it.

      Delete
  7. Actually the way I found your blog was thru the Heavy Gear forum awhile back. I started heavy gear a few months back (needed mech fix)but now that I see infinity it has taken aback burner. I wouls still play battltech but I realy dont like the current state of Battletech which for me it peaked about 3050 and has went downhill from there. One of the the things I like better about heavy gear than battltech is that they make logical use of weapons swaps compared to whole new chasis.

    I have not seen anything local for infinity, but like I said not a whole lot of gaming localy. My feelings for gamming in the states is that it is not very well accepted by the general public to many stereotypes like this

    http://www.chick.com/READING/TRACTS/0046/0046_01.ASP

    I know it is dnd but most non historic war-game seem to get lump in with it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good God that comic strip is soooooo funny I nearly split my side laughing that hard, I really did. America is a very funny country. On the one hand so very well educated, modern and liberal, yet on the other so very backwards, conservative and bigoted. I guess it's a byproduct of being such a young and vast nation. Don't get me wrong there are plenty of people in the UK who'll happily call me a geek or a nerd for what I'm doing, but luckily not many think I'm in league with occultists and Satan... which is ironic because I'm actually the spawn of the dark lord himself... nah not really!!! I've never once met Rupert Murdoch.

      Delete
  8. I totally missed this post! I missed your thoughts on the matter so went off to write my own. Haha!

    It's something about the Infinity releases that calls for discussion and opinions. Much more so than other games and across factions as well. Love it! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries matey. It's all good. I think everyone who plays Infinity ends up talking about the monthly releases eventually. They're almost paty of the 'hobby' now, these monthly updates. Clever bit of marketing if you ask me. Put a link up to your article in this thread so peeps can jump across to yours after they've read my thoughts. Always good to get more than one opinion.

      Delete
    2. They really have become a part of the hobby, but in a very good way. Since there are no splash releases and they're always spread across several factions they're exciting for everyone. Clever indeed!

      As for getting more than one opinion... well, you do know how much we think alike, right? ;)

      For those who are curious anwyway you can read my thoughts over at Fire Broadside.

      Delete
    3. Well lets just call it positive reinforcement then!!!

      Delete