Sunday 9 December 2012

Sunday Sermon: A year of Sermons

    
    
William Holman Hunt, Her First Sermon.

A little over a year ago now, on the 4th December 2012 to be precise, I started an experiment of sorts and wrote my first Sunday Sermon article. That first Sunday Sermon seems a very long time ago now, but it wasn't really, I just guess it feels like that because I've written so many of them, that it seems such a long time ago. When I first started out writing these Sermons they were as I said an experiment, primarily to see if I could somehow increase my then meager and paltry hits on a Sunday's. At first they seemed to have little to no impact, but you know what, 12 months on and my Sunday readership has gone through the roof. Indeed some of my Sermons have even snuck into the top 10 most viewed articles on my all time greatest hits list. I'm not going to tell you which ones, because today's Sermon isn't going to be a sermon at all really. After writing these for a year (although I did take a brief break around July / August time) I'm going to take a rest from preaching... instead I'd like to hear from you lot as to, which of my Sermons over the past 12 months you've enjoy the most. Hell, I'd even like to hear about the ones that annoyed you, made you angry and even made you want to rip my head of. In short I just want to know what you all have made of them, some general feedback would be nice and highly useful to me. Also, are there any topics you feel I should have covered in my sermons, if so what are they? Peace out!

19 comments:

  1. The one where you said you're going to take a break from preaching for a while made me angry ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PMSL, so this is the Sermon that makes you angry? Good!!! :P

      Well either I've been doing something right... or very, very wrong if none of my other sermons haven't irked you before now.

      Delete
    2. Well, I do love a good controversy..

      I don't play 90% of the stuff you review or write about, but I do have a casual nerd-interest in all of it and make a point to stop by once a day because you're one of the few voices of reason and sanity on the interwebz. Even if I don't collect WarmaHordes, Dystopian, etc... I can still appreciate a well-constructed analysis of systems. And the Sunday Sermons are thought-provoking, a nice break from the typical "OMG look at this stoopid Heldrake/Storm Talon/Wizard/Sniper model!!!1!11" noise out there.

      I'd probably follow even if you wrote about beagle breeding.

      Delete
  2. I've only been following the blog for a couple of weeks, so I've not enjoyed the full year of Sunday Sermons, but have enjoyed the ones we've had so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yu should go back and check a couple of them out. I've written some doozies. Glad to have you on board for the ride now though Precinct Omega.

      Delete
  3. I've been reading them all year, grateful to know there'd be something new to read on Sundays. You've covered a lot of ground and written some really good stuff. Too numerous to name them all, really.
    I really enjoyed your insights on historical gaming, and the misogyny article was a major contribution to a collection of them going around the net around that time that opened up a healthy amount of discussion on the subject.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THAT misogyny article has generated a lot of interest. Obviously it pissed some people off massively, which I guess is a good thing, because it shows it had an impact. What I wasn't so happy about was some of the hate filled vitriol I received because of it. I have however had some discussion with some popular female geeks about it behind closed doors and on the whole they appreciated what I tried to do. They were also glad that it raised the topic and so for me I'll call it a success of sorts. I'm glad you liked the historical wargaming sermon's. I'm trying to do a bit more on that topic because a number of people have asked me to look into some stuff for them. They've never looked at it before.

      Delete
    2. I'll just echo Delf here and add that if you aren't pissing somebody off then you aren't talking about anything important. Good job dude o7

      Delete
    3. Same here, that article brought me here (and to many other places). Thanks for that and keep up the good work!

      Delete
  4. This was the bestest Sunday Sermon ever! JK ; )

    I've enjoyed them all. Apart from the ones that confused me or made me think about that time we drank wine up the back of the grave yard.

    Looking forward to 52 more!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dude. Get back to the preaching. You've got a choir here to accent your every point with a semi-musical interlude. I'm going to be watching for a new sermon this Sunday, so get writing, typewriter monkey! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Come back, Gamer. We like your words. I do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I heard the blogger here got buried by a collapse of unplayed/unopened gaming merch when he opened his closet door. Eventually his cats ate him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you are alright, mate. Your blog is awesome... and has cats :)

      Delete
  8. Hey gamers,
    HipHop recording sensation Provy Suflayy released his first single off his upcoming release!!

    ‘A Star Burnin Brite’ feat. Rachel Schryvers.

    It is now available on Itunes and other fine online retailers for only .99 cents!

    Check out the music video now on youtube!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X06H7IVEbAY

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am new on you site. And I have read your first post "Sunday Sermon". This is really a wonderful post. You are really one of the greatest writer. And I also agree with you some feedback impressed to write wonderful post. Best of luck. Defining Web

    ReplyDelete
  10. The baby is really cute. The drawing is so wonderful. Trees Planet

    ReplyDelete